Following a bumper show last year, Durban’s favourite festive event is back to bring enchantment and joy to visitors of all ages starting 8 December 2023 to 3 January 2024 from 18:00-22:00 each evening.
Now in its 7th year, the theme of this year’s Trail of Lights is ‘Garden Glow’ and the talented technical team behind the event are promising ‘a radiant spectacle that showcases the breathtaking beauty of the Durban Botanic Gardens’, says event organiser Alene Naidoo. ”There’ll be the annual favourites, but we have loads of new displays that promise to surprise and delight our regulars.”
In addition, the historical gardens themselves are a cause for celebration. Reaching a milestone, 2024 marks 175 years since the Durban Botanic Gardens was established. Renowned for its lush greenery and vibrant flora, the oldest botanical gardens in Africa, will be transformed into an enchanting wonderland of lights. Visitors can wander along the trail or take a detour, to find a surprise around every corner, revealing multiple pockets of dazzling light installations that showcase the natural surroundings in all their beauty.
The Trail of Lights is a family-focused outing with something that will appeal to everybody – from the really young to the young at heart!
- A variety of entertainment and live music each evening
- Festive characters and live ‘selfie spots’ across the gardens
- Two food gardens offering a wide selection of food and beverages, to suit every palate
- Grab a picture with Santa in Santa’s Grotto and share your holiday wishes with him
- Have your face painted, play a game or find the Grinch while supporting various worthy causes at the charity-hosted Santa’s Workshop
- Mail off your Christmas Wish List at the North Pole Mailbox
- Do your last minute (or first) festive shopping with some of Durban’s most talented traders
- Wheelchairs will be available to hire on a first come first served basis
One of last year’s most popular attraction’s PAWS AND CLAUS, is back for three nights on 10th, 13th and 14th December, when visitors can bring along their ‘fur kids’ …dogs ONLY… to join in the fun!! Ticket sales from these evenings goes to Feeding the Furballs charity. Tickets on the Paws and Claus nights are R50 per pet, when booked with a full-paying adult ticket.
Ticket prices range from R70 – R90 per person, depending on the time you visit and are available through or at select Pick n Pay outlets. Tickets are available at the door, subject to availability, at R120 pp (card payments only) and are limited, so early booking is advised in order to secure your preferred date.
Photo Credit: Gareth Roberts/Trail of Lights